The European Spallation Source ERIC, ESS, is hiring motivated and inspired people to design, construct and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in a range of fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe. ESS is based in the university city Lund, Sweden and is a partnership of 13 European countries.
ESS is looking for a Safety engineer, as part of one of the teams working with the Integrated Control Systems (ICS), responsible for the design, construction, commissioning and operation of control systems for all parts of the ESS facility.
About the team
The tasks and responsibilities of the Protection Systems Group as part of ICS, is the design, realization, operation and consolidation of:
• The ESS Machine Protection System of Systems,
• The Personnel Safety Systems,
• The Gas Detection Systems (e.g. Oxygen Deficiency Hazard (ODH) Detection Systems or Hydrogen Detection Systems).
These systems are critical for the successful and safe operation of the facility and are highly integrated into the design of the whole facility.
About the role
As the successful candidate and future Safety engineer you will be to coordinate the different lifecycle phases for specific personnel safety systems (PSS) but you will also be involved in the design and verification processes of several machine protection systems. This includes but is not limited to:
• Development, verification and documentation of interfaces between personnel safety systems or machine protection systems and equipment in the accelerator, target station and neutron instruments. Ensure compliance with the associated safety or protection integrity levels and reaction times.
• Actively collect, evaluate and optimize requirements from the different stakeholders necessary to design personnel safety systems and machine protection systems.
• Perform engineering design and related duties. Ensure that designs comply with relevant standards, regulations and procedures and that designs are in line with ESS availability goals.
• Actively assist during the installation and the different tests of personnel safety systems machine protection systems (factory acceptance test, site acceptance test, site integration and final integration tests).
We believe that you have:
• Masters or Bachelors degree in Engineering, or other relevant experience
• Hands-on experience with designing, integrating, analyzing, and/or optimizing the performance of critical systems
• Experience with requirements solicitation and verification
• Experience in working with complex systems and within a multicultural environment
• Knowledge in PLC programming and automation would be an assett
• Knowledge in electrical control systems design would be an assett
• Previous experience of working in a cross functional role would be an asset
• Familiarity with the International Functional Safety Standard IEC 61511 or IEC 61508 is an advantage
• Awareness and ability to add value through creative solutions to complex problems.
• Possess excellent communication and presentation skills,
• Perfectly master English in oral and written form
What ESS will offer
At ESS you can expect:
• an opportunity to contribute to the future discoveries within neutron science
• a work environment filled with innovative minds and people from all over the world
• a challenging, exciting and high-paced work environment
• market competitive compensation that is individual and differentiated according to role, responsibilities, individual skills, abilities, and achievements
• benefits including 30 days of annual leave as well as more than 10 days of public holiday and company days off or days with limited working hours, flexible working arrangements and focus on work life balance
• and where applicable relocation support and allowances may also be available
Duration & Location
The position is a three year fixed term role with work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae in English by clicking on “apply” and follow the instructions. Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.
For this role, ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and will be applicable in the final part of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is 5 October, 2022 please note that we will review applications continuously, so kindly submit your application at the earliest convenience.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Recruiting Manager, Annika Nordt, email@example.com
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Kathryn Quaak, firstname.lastname@example.org
For trade union information please contact Unionen / Conny Wendt at email@example.com or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers / Yngve Levinsen, Yngve.Levinsen@ess.eu